The guys from Around the Fort – the state’s premier prep football podcast – enjoyed their time with former Adams Central coach Rick Minnich earlier this week. The legendary Flying Jets’ pilot led AC to its lone state championship during the 2000 campaign. Tonight, we’ve got four local teams who are hoping to punch their tickets to next week’s state finals in Indianapolis. Can all four get ‘er done? Absolutely! But this is the 25th anniversary weekend of Black Friday when the 2-6-0 had four semistate entrants come up empty: Snider (Penn), Bishop Dwenger (Griffith), Harding (Andrean) and Adams Central (Pioneer). Good vibes, people!
THE SWAMI SCALE
- CARROLL (12-0): The Chargers are looking for lucky No. 13 in the win column tonight. Go Carroll!
- SNIDER (11-1): Snider’s crew enjoyed a Panther pile of pies Wednesday night from B. Antonio’s.
- NORTH SIDE (8-3): The Legends stay in the three-hole, having only lost to the top two teams in ‘22.
- COLUMBIA CITY (11-2): Gotta keep C-City here, despite last week’s lopsided loss to Kokomo.
- ADAMS CENTRAL (13-0): This is the highest a Class 1A squad has ever found itself on the S-Scale.
- NORWELL (10-2): The Knights are assuredly kicking themselves after letting a 21-0 lead slip away.
- BISHOP LUERS (8-5): Luers has a big one tonight up in the region against a solid Andrean squad.
- BISHOP DWENGER (6-4): All of BD’s losses this season came against the Swami’s top three teams.
- LEO (8-4): The Lions took NE8 champion Columbia City to OT two weeks ago; the future is bright.
- EASTSIDE (9-3): Two of the Beastsiders’ losses are against teams still alive in the state playoffs.
CLASS 6A SEMISTATE
HAMILTON SOUTHEASTERN (12-0) at CARROLL (12-0): If the Chargers win in the trenches, they’ll hang around until the end.
SWAMI SAYS: Hamilton Southeastern by 13
CLASS 5A SEMISTATE
VALPARAISO (9-3) at SNIDER (11-1): The Panthers are too good on defense and ball-control their way to their eighth semistate.
SWAMI SAYS: Snider by 17
CLASS 2A SEMISTATE
BISHOP LUERS (8-5) at ANDREAN (9-3): Two parochial powers square off in what should be a Donnybrook. Come on, Luers!
SWAMI SAYS: Andrean by 9
CLASS 1A SEMISTATE
ADAMS CENTRAL (13-0) at NORTH JUDSON (12-1): Both clubs are clobbering folks this season, but the Jets are on a mission.
SWAMI SAYS: Adams Central by 16
6A … CENTER GROVE (10-2) at INDY CATHEDRAL (10-1): Going with the Catlicks here by a tuddy (not a toddy).
SWAMI SAYS: Cathedral by 6
5A … WHITELAND (11-1) at CASTLE (8-4): The Warriors are seeking their first semistate championship in program history.
SWAMI SAYS: Whiteland by 14
4A … NEW PRAIRIE (12-1) at KOKOMO (12-1): I’m going with the Cougars here on the road, though these ‘Kats are crazy tough.
SWAMI SAYS: New Prairie by 3
4A … INDY RONCALLI (12-1) at EAST CENTRAL (11-2): Roncalli beat EC by a deuce five weeks ago. Sounds about right again.
SWAMI SAYS: Roncalli by 2
3A … INDY CHATARD (9-4) at WEST LAFAYETTE (13-0): Conventional wisdom says go with Chatard, but I’m unconventional.
SWAMI SAYS: West Lafayette by 4
3A … MONROVIA (6-7) at LAWRENCEBURG (12-1): The Tigers are going to torch these Bulldogs like there’s no tomorrow.
SWAMI SAYS: Lawrenceburg by 36
2A … LINTON-STOCKTON (13-0) at EVANSVILLE MATER DEI (10-3): Give me the Mother of God in a squeaker. By a whisker.
SWAMI SAYS: Mater Dei by 1
1A … INDY LUTHERAN (13-0) at NORTH DECATUR (13-0): I’d love to see an upset here by ND, but the Saints are just too good.
SWAMI SAYS: Indy Lutheran by 23