Ah, the playoffs – that magical time of the year when memories are made and the second season summons. Tonight, Class 6A and 5A are taking a bye-week breather, while the lower four classes get underway. Locally speaking, the best matchups are in 4A (Leo at East Noble) and 1A (Adams Central at Churubusco). For my money, I’m going with both undefeated teams to remain that way for at least another week. For the others, it’s time to put up or shut up. As coach Egts always said, “Don’t get bitter, get better.” I like that more than “Build Back Butter.”
THE SWAMI SCALE
- CARROLL (8-1): Exactly where we started the season – with the Chargers atop Mount Swami.
- SNIDER (7-1): These Panthers loaded up on some B. Antonio’s pizza this week. Tasty, I’m told.
- BISHOP LUERS (8-1): Time for the second season, where the Knights are big-time favorites.
- LEO (9-0): I was ready to leapfrog the Lions to the top spot, but last week’s slog was uninspiring.
- HOMESTEAD (6-3): The Spartans are quietly lurking, awaiting their rematch vs. the Chargers.
- BISHOP DWENGER (5-4): The Saints are quietly lurking, awaiting their rematch vs. the Panthers.
- NORWELL (8-1): The Knights actually dropped a spot after last week’s win over CC. Sorry, dudes.
- EASTSIDE (9-0): Beastside High has its sights set on Luers in the sec-title tilt. Be patient, men.
- ADAMS CENTRAL (8-1): Could the Flying Jets get shot down tonight in the Town of Turtles?
- EAST NOBLE (6-2): Last year, EN turned the tables on the unbeaten Lions. A repeat in ’21?
CLASS 4A (SECTIONAL 19)
DEKALB (1-8) at WAWASEE (1-8): The Barons believe last week’s showing vs. Leo will translate into a dub tonight.SWAMI SAYS: Wawasee by 4
LEO (9-0) at EAST NOBLE (6-2): Leo won 40-32 in the regular-season meeting; that sounds about right. Plus one.SWAMI SAYS: Leo by 9
ANGOLA (2-7) at COLUMBIA CITY (4-5): The Plan: more TDs, fewer FGs, in the Red Zone tonight for the Eagles.SWAMI SAYS: Columbia City by 17
CLASS 4A (SECTIONAL 20)
MARION (4-4) at WAYNE (2-7): The Generals are getting a handful of dudes back in the lineup for this one. Dudes.SWAMI SAYS: Wayne by 23
SOUTH SIDE (1-7) at DELTA (4-5): Give me the Battling Beagles at home, though there could be some variance. SWAMI SAYS: Delta by 7
JAY COUNTY (3-6) at MISSISSINEWA (6-2): Saying out loud “one Mississinewa” takes exactly 1.3 seconds.SWAMI SAYS: Mississinewa by 33
NEW HAVEN (4-5) at HUNTINGTON NORTH (2-7): Will field conditions slow down the Bulldogs tonight?SWAMI SAYS: New Haven by 15
CLASS 3A (SECTIONAL 26)
LAKELAND (3-6) at JOHN GLENN (4-4): I’m secretly pulling for the Lakers, but have to go with JG at home. SWAMI SAYS: John Glenn by 7
WEST NOBLE (4-5) at JIMTOWN (7-2): Jimmies have won seven straight after losses vs. NW and Concord.SWAMI SAYS: Jimtown by 33
TIPPECANOE VALLEY (9-0) at GARRETT (4-5): Let’s face it, Tippy’s schedule isn’t Murderer’s Row. Just saying.SWAMI SAYS: Tippecanoe Valley by 14
CLASS 3A (SECTIONAL 27)
NORWELL (8-1) at MACONAQUAH (2-5) Braves put up 72 points on North Miami. Is Jimmy Johnson their coach?SWAMI SAYS: Norwell by 41
NORTHWESTERN (0-8) at CONCORDIA (1-7): The Cadets will celebrate Senior Night in style. CLHS bigly!SWAMI SAYS: Concordia by 37
OAK HILL (7-2) at BELLMONT (1-8): Wouldn’t be surprised if the host Braves hang around in this one.SWAMI SAYS: Oak Hill by 14
HERITAGE (4-5) at PERU (6-2): If the Patriots can run the ball, they’ll shut this circus down. Peru by a Tiger hair.SWAMI SAYS: Peru by 4
CLASS 2A (SECTIONAL 35)
BLUFFTON (4-5) at EASTSIDE (9-0): Beastside beat AC 21-19; AC beat B-town 56-0. Blazers by bundles.SWAMI SAYS: Eastside by 42
WHITKO (1-8) at CENTRAL NOBLE (7-2): I’m sensing lots of Will Hoover and Preston Diffendarfer. CN rolls.SWAMI SAYS: Central by 41
FAIRFIELD (4-5) at BISHOP LUERS (8-1): My crystal balls see a great reset (on offense) for the Knights tonight.SWAMI SAYS: Luers by 49
PRAIRIE HEIGHTS (3-6) at WOODLAN (3-6): The Warriors’ late-season gauntlet pays dividends vs. the Panthers.SWAMI SAYS: Woodlan by 13
CLASS 1A (SECTIONAL 43)
SOUTH ADAMS (7-2) at MADISON-GRANT (4-5): If Aidan Wanner returns (at QB or WR), the Starfires shine bright.SWAMI SAYS: South Adams by 27
SOUTHERN WELLS (0-9) at TAYLOR (0-5): Taylor lost to Sheridan 66-6. That’s evil. Give me the Titans by a deuce.SWAMI SAYS: Taylor by 2
CLASS 1A (SECTIONAL 44)
NORTHFIELD (6-3) at FREMONT (3-6): The Norsemen have won 6 of their last 7 and should clip the Eagles’ wings.SWAMI SAYS: Northfield by 21
ADAMS CENTRAL (8-1) at CHURUBUSCO (7-2): Combined, these two have nine shutouts this year. Defense wins.SWAMI SAYS: Adams Central by 11